M-A Student Makes Splash on Football Field

Betsy Snow

Junior Amanda Hutchison swims across the flooded M-A football field.

Emily Grose

Following the downpour of rain on Friday, junior Amanda Hutchison took advantage of the flooded football field to become the first student to swim across one of M-A’s sports fields.

“During Yearbook, Ms. Snow and I were looking out the window onto the football field, and [Ms. Snow] was joking about how funny it would be if someone decided to swim on it.” Inspired by the idea, Hutchison felt that “it would be such a fun, once in a lifetime opportunity.”

For the rest of the class period, Huchison frantically ran around the school, trying to find someone who happened to have a swimsuit that she could use for the endeavor. Finally, during lunch, she found a water polo player who let her borrow a swim suit, goggles, and M-A swim cap.

“It was like walking into a shower thinking it’s going to be warm but having it turn out to be freezing cold,” Hutchison recalled of her experience with a smile. “It was honestly so much fun… I had a blast, and Ms. Snow had a great time taking pictures.”

Some may wonder why Hutchison chose to use the flooded football field as an opportunity to go swimming in the first place. “I did it because you can only say you swam on a field once in your lifetime, if you ever even get that chance,” explained Hutchison. “I thought, why not? There was nothing stopping me.”

Comments

19 Responses to “M-A Student Makes Splash on Football Field”

1. David Schmitt on December 3rd, 2012 3:57 pm

I was shocked while walking to PE today, when I noticed that the field is already completely dry after only 3 days. We have absolutely top-notch drains

Nicky H Reply:

Actually, the only reason it flooded was due to a backed-up pipe. If it hadn’t been backed-up already because of the drained pool, the field wouldn’t have been as flooded. You would think Mother Nature would wait to shower until after we are done with our pool maintenance.

shoover Reply:

I actually disagree. I think this is a sign that M-A needs to improve its drains. The football field should not have gotten this bad in the first place. More efficient infrastructure, in other areas of the school as well (there was flooding in the parking lot tool), would prevent flooding.

bwiener Reply:

David I totally agree with you. M-A should win some sort of award for its amazing drainage system. Most other schools’ drainage systems would have taken up to a week to get rid of that water.

2. Rachel Fox on December 3rd, 2012 8:58 pm

How deep was it?

3. Virsies on December 3rd, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow! When I saw the field I was thinking it would be fun to swim there. Who knew someone would actually do it? This is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Glad someone took it.

4. this guy on December 3rd, 2012 11:12 pm

went skimboarding on it on saturday. it was wet.

5. Katie Gaherty on December 4th, 2012 3:41 pm

Whenever I show people this photo, they don’t believe the sight of it. It’s incredible and entertaining that we were able to participate and capture a moment like this. Beautiful photo and great job!

6. Jessica on December 4th, 2012 7:05 pm

I laughed so hard when I saw this photo because she came into my Spanish class asking for a swimsuit and then when no one had one she left without explaining anything to us, leaving us confused. It all made sense when I saw the pic!

Hannah Ellefritz Reply:

Yup! And she had a swim cap, goggles and everything! Thanks for reading our site!

7. amacfarlane on December 4th, 2012 7:27 pm

The photo is priceless. It would have been a shame to let the flooded field go to waste!

8. alai on December 4th, 2012 8:55 pm

I hope it starts raining more often! Maybe the field can become a diving pool too.

9. P. Snow on December 5th, 2012 11:35 pm

It actually has everything to do with broken pumps that remove water from our storm drains and empties it onto Ringwood. One of our two pumps was completely non-operative, and the other one was working at 1/2 capacity, due to it being clogged with landscape bark. The partially working pump couldn’t keep up with the amount of rain we got, so the storm drains overflowed and water filled the lowest parts of campus, the turf and baseball fields.

10. rgordan on December 6th, 2012 4:07 pm

I remember seeing a photo of the field with only a center strip above water, but it didnt even occur to me that it would be deep enough to swim.

11. cwoods on December 6th, 2012 7:38 pm

thats crazy. It mustve been pretty deep to be able to swim. I wonder how deep it actually was?

greid Reply:

I think it was pretty shallow, but Amanda has a pretty convincing fake stroke! What a great idea/shot.

12. Sarah on December 7th, 2012 12:02 am

this is such a great picture, i wonder if it did any damage to the field? koodos to amanda for taking this oppurtunity!

13. josephrabinovitsj on December 7th, 2012 7:49 pm

I hear through the grapevine that there is video footage out there of this swimmer swimming the length of the field. Stay tuned!

14. Sabiha Viswanathan on December 8th, 2012 1:17 pm

This is such a funny and amazing picture! I think that swimming on the M-A football field is a great opportunity that Amanda can now talk about for the rest of her life!