New Drug Leads to Teen Overdose

Annalise Deal

Katie Wilcox
March 19, 2014

Last week, a high school student in Mountain View collapsed from a seizure on Steven’s Creek Trail, where he was found unresponsive. He was later rushed to the hospital, after which, no further details were released.

 

The Mountain View Police Department and other officials have been led to believe that the student overdosed on a new street drug referred to as “DOC,” short for 2.5-Dimethoxy-4-chloramphetamine. This drug combines hallucinogenic (like those of LSD) and methamphetamine-like effects.

 

Like many synthetic drugs, it has long-lasting effects and is very dangerous. DOC influences the cognitive abilities of the brain, resulting in a “zombie like state, the person’s sort of out of it, but they are very hyper aware and hyper sensitive. So, they can see real well and hear real well, but they’re out of it,” notes Mountain View Police Sergeant Saul Jaeger.

 

District Administrations and the Mountain View Police Department are scheduling an educational forum to inform the parents and students in the community about the new psychedelic substance, and warn them of the dangers of synthetic drugs. Most commonly with DOC, users complain of nausea, chest pain, and trouble breathing.

 

DOC comes in a variety of forms, including pills, powder, and drops, making it easy for students to get a hold of. Police have asked the community to immediately call 911 if you or someone you know has recently ingested this drug.

Print Friendly

Comments

3 Responses to “New Drug Leads to Teen Overdose”

  1. Eliza Dewar on March 23rd, 2014 2:13 pm

    This is concerning, weird to think that there are new drugs like this so close by. I’m used to hearing about drugs on the other side of the country. I hope this doesn’t become to much of a problem!

  2. llobdell on March 24th, 2014 6:39 pm

    I had no idea that a new drug was in use so close to us. Like Eliza, I normally hear about these issues as news farther away from us. It is concerning that high school students are using this drug, but it is great that schools are alerting students and parents. I hope that the student is recovering well.

  3. mburger on March 24th, 2014 7:52 pm

    This is tragic and also very worrisome. I agree that schools should be encouraged to discuss the repercussions of this and similar drugs rather than avoiding the subject.