Portables Added to Accomodate More Students

Connor Woods

Construction of the three portables will be finished within the next week.

Danielle Balestra, Reporter
August 22, 2014

In order to accommodate the rapidly growing Menlo-Atherton student body, the administration has placed a number of portables on the black-top.

With 2,070 students last year, M-A has enrolled 100 more students this year and predicts further increased enrollment in the future. However, our current campus does not provide enough classrooms to support the growing population of M-A’s feeder middle schools. While the administration plans to expand the number of classrooms in a more permanent way in the future, the school needed a way to immediately alleviate the classroom congestion. The portables offer a semi-temporary and quick solution to this problem.

Currently, three portables are under construction on the blacktop basketball courts next to Spieker Pool. The administration also hopes that the new classrooms, F-13 and F-14, will be ready by Sept 8 for their respective science classes.

However, M-A plans to add at least three more portables before the end of the first quarter. For now, teachers Ms. Bradbury, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Grizzle, and Ms. Fronk’s classes have temporary locations and will move as soon as their portables are finished.

These portables will reside here until further notice. The administration and school board continues to discuss more permanent plans.

Comments

2 Responses to “Portables Added to Accomodate More Students”

1. Louis McCabe on August 28th, 2014 9:13 am

I hope these portables are only temporary. Some can cause health risks when used too long.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/apr/reports/l3006.pdf

2. Daniel Pedreiro on September 4th, 2014 3:07 pm

M-A’s enrollment rate is soaring with each passing year, these portables aren’t a long term solution