Opinion: P.R.I.D.E. Fails to Gain Traction

Annalise Deal

P.R.I.D.E posters and flyers such as this one have been displayed across the school, advertising the P.R.I.D.E. acronym and campaign.

Ryan Wentz

It seems as if every wall and bulletin board at M-A has one thing in common: M-A P.R.I.D.E. posters. Introduced by the M-A administration two years ago in an effort to promote school-wide unity, P.R.I.D.E. represents the values that the administration finds most important to M-A students: Patience, Respect, Integrity, Determination, and Empathy.

Since then, P.R.I.D.E. has been implemented in school-wide assemblies, SSR periods, and most evidently, the M-A halls. When asked why the campaign was necessary, Vice Principal Simone Kennel claimed that M-A needed a vision for the entire school. However, while the administration is surely advancing its agenda, the campaign does not seem to be affecting students the way it was expected to.

In a senior government class of 35 students, only two claimed that the values of P.R.I.D.E. have an impact on their everyday decisions. Though Kennel claims that she has noticed a completely different vibe throughout campus, the feedback from the aforementioned government class, a class containing students of all socioeconomic backgrounds, clearly demonstrates the ineffectiveness of P.R.I.D.E. and the consequent lack of enthusiasm among students.

Furthermore, the P.R.I.D.E.-based activities in the back of student planners have received little attention by M-A students, despite the clear push for the widespread understanding of these values. Additionally, the constant interruptions to SSR time only serve to generate antipathy towards the campaign.

In order to appeal to M-A students and achieve its ultimate objective, the administration must change its means of promoting the campaign. Students mock and snicker at the rudimentariness of the lessons and activities. Reconstructing negative conversations into respectful ones simply fails to motivate students to change their lifestyles into ones that abide by the principles of P.R.I.D.E. Improved efforts would eliminate unproductive posters and lessons, and engender enthusiasm among students through relatable mediums like videos created by peers, much like the moving one shown at this year’s anti-bullying assembly.

The administration must reform its feeble attempts in promoting school-wide change. The campaign’s rudimentary activities, combined with M-A’s greater lack of unity inside and outside of the classroom, inhibit the effectiveness of P.R.I.D.E.

Facebook Comments

Comments

9 Responses to “Opinion: P.R.I.D.E. Fails to Gain Traction”

1. shoover on December 16th, 2012 8:30 pm

Personally, I believe that the values taught by “P.R.I.D.E.” are ones that I try to follow without the use of an acronym. While I find it necessary for the administration to spread and harness general feelings of acceptance, tolerance, kindness, and respect, drilling an acronym into our heads is not the way to do it. Memorization does not mean we know how or even want to put it into action. If we don’t understand its significance and purpose, an acronym is inherently useless. Assemblies and possibly videos that show us the effect of such attitudes would be much more meaningful and would help foster acceptance at M-A.

2. shenze on December 16th, 2012 10:12 pm

I understand and agree with the purpose behind the implementation of the P.R.I.D.E. acronym at our school, however I do agree that the way in which it has been forced upon the students and constantly mentioned, does generate negative feelings toward the idea, rather than the positive outcome that it intends to create.

3. JPFAU on December 17th, 2012 1:02 pm

I feel one reason for PRIDE’s absence was the lack of any official announcement and reminder’s during 3rd period announcement.

4. mrichardson on December 17th, 2012 2:08 pm

I know a lot of my friends make fun of the “pride” acronym and I feel it’s because it has become more of a rule than a goal

5. Virsies on December 17th, 2012 5:40 pm

I agree with Shooves. These are all values that people usually try to follow without any campaign. I know of very few teachers that actually teach the P.R.I.D.E. lessons and students really don’t care about this campaign for the most part. I think there are other more valuable things that the admin could invest their time and money in.

6. Anonymous on December 19th, 2012 12:23 pm

It is naive of the administration to think that students will change their behavior just because they created a “catchy” acronym. I remember when the leadership class first introduced the acronym at our class assembly and I though it seemed desperate and insincere. I think what bothers students most is when M-A ignores real issues at the school’s core and mask them under a “quick fix” acronym. I would gladly take character advice from teachers who have gained my respect but having the administration shove this kind of message down our throats is just nauseating.

Will Hanley Reply:

Anonymous, I totally agree with your statement. Desperate and insincere are perfect words to describe this occasion. Unfortunately, the admin cannot just expect an acronym to do any good in terms of overall student behavior. If you ask me, the acronym seems almost borderline patronizing to the student body as a whole.

7. Evan on January 30th, 2013 8:44 pm

The acronym doesn’t help me sustain daily pride, respect, integrity, determination, and empathy. By me memorizing these specific order of virtues that result in a somewhat clever acronym doesn’t make them a factor that actually influences my daily behavior.

8. sviswanathan on March 19th, 2013 10:45 pm

I agree, I think that the campaign has great intentions for the school and for the district in uniting students, but I do not think that at the current state, the whole PRIDE initiative is being implemented the right way. The district needs to take a new approach on the campaign otherwise it will be ignored for all upcoming years.