Girls Varsity Soccer Prevails over Carlmont

Danielle Balestra

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Thursday, the Bears faced the Carlmont Scots on Coach Parks’s field. Eager to come back from their 0-2 loss to the Scots in the first half of league, the Bears were fired up. This motivation proved constant throughout the game.


As a spectator, you could see how badly they wanted it. Even after the Scots’ early goal within the first ten minutes off the goal post did not crush the Bears determination. Outscoring the Scots during the first half, the Bears’ relentless offense frustrated the Scot defense. This aggravation ultimately resulted in two fouls on M-A’s freshman forward, Katie Guenin, in the goalkeeper’s box. For the first penalty kick, Guenin found the net, and for the second penalty kick, captain Cayla Stillman took command and converted, putting the Bears in the lead 2-1.


In the second half, M-A put consistently more pressure on the Scots, keeping the ball on the Scots side for the majority of the half. With ease, sophomore Talia Missan brought the ball up the side of field and crossed it to Guenin, who headed the ball just out of the goalkeeper’s reach. This goal was exactly what Bears needed to maintain their intensity and root out all complacency; a 3-1 victory over the Scots was well within their grasp. With twenty minutes left, the Bears continued to fight the ball up the wings while the Scots only made nominal possessions. In Carlmont’s one shot after Guenin’s goal, sophomore goalkeeper Ilana Winawer impressively stopped their advance. Several times, junior Sasha Geonzon passed the ball to sophomore Kelsey Reed who ran the ball up the field, almost as if they were in a rhythm. Although the Bears were unable to score any further, M-A’s offense, Amanda Wiseman in particular, refused to lay off the heat. In the end, the Bears held on to their 3-1 lead for victory.


After the win, the girls on the bench stormed the field to celebrate with their teammates. Now with a 6-4-2 league record, the Bears are right behind the Scots by three points in contention for CCS.


In reflecting on the exciting game, Geonzon remarked, “This game was probably the most intense game of the season so far for us.” Indeed, it was was. The energy remained high the entire game, making it an enjoyable game not only to watch, but also to play.


Geonzon would agree. She continued, “We all played our hearts out and we got the win we deserved.”


In their final week of league, the Bears travel to Hillsdale on Tuesday, February 18th, and welcome Woodside to Coach Parks’ field for our Senior Night on Thursday, February 20th.

Print Friendly

Facebook Comments

Leave a Comment

Comments are closed.

Girls Varsity Soccer Prevails over Carlmont