Girls Golf Enters Season Eager to Win Team Title

Doug Lee

Last years' girls varsity golf team with Coach Ramon Young.

Lauren McLaughlin, Reporter

The beginning of a new year calls for the start of the M-A girls varsity golf season. Last fall, the team lost three seniors; however, only one of the three, Tiffany Yang, played a role as one of the top players on the team. This season, Taylor Waddell (10), Alex Brieger (10), Heina Morishita (9), and Taylor Yeh (9) have joined the team, and Coach Ramon Young is confident he can develop their golf skills for future years on the team.

Size in not a problem for the team this year, with a relatively high number of girls at 12. Between the addition of the new players and the veterans of last year’s team, there will be enough players for the rotations throughout the year. Although the team has failed to win the Team Championship in recent years, they have consistently finished in a respectable second or third place.

Last year, two players qualified for CCS individually, and ranked in the top ten of the PAL. This season, Coach Young believes that, led by captain Ashley Utz, sophomores Naomi Lee, Abigail Pederson, and Christina Park may qualify for CCS. He “just hope[s] that they continue to play well without any injury throughout the season.”

Despite previous years’ disappointment because of the lack of a solid fifth girl, Coach Young is positive and hopes to eventually attain a higher scoring average. As stated by Coach Young he is “looking forward for a great season this year.”

Facebook Comments

Comments

One Response to “Girls Golf Enters Season Eager to Win Team Title”

1. dbalestra on September 7th, 2014 5:09 pm

Hopefully with the extra girls this year, the team won’t be as affected by the graduating players. Good luck ladies!